See Scene 6 of 8 for additional South Germantown village tour information or Scene 4 of 8 to go back one page. To see the Germantown Picture Gallery. go here.
Main Street at Broadway, View East:
This same view is pictured in the book GERMANTOWN The Early Years 1838 - 1915, page 117.
Germantown Mutual Insurance Building
Germantown Mutual Insurance: north side; Monroe Schwalbach, president; oldest mutual insurance company in Wisconsin. Pictured in the book GERMANTOWN The Early Years 1838 - 1915, page 52. Was born in Dheinsville where the original building remains; picture of the building can be found on the front cover of the book GERMANTOWN The Early Years 1838 - 1915.
Citizen's Bank: north side, east of insurance building; president Herb Setzer and clerk Bernard Bellin; (later the building became a post office).
Schmeling Blacksmith Shop: NW corner Church Street, east of bank; later Howard Riengruber's storage; removed in the 1950/1960s. In the 1930s-1940s, it was used by Joe Habermacher as a gas/auto maintenance facility. Joe arrived in the area in 1931. In the late 1940s early 1950s, he relocated the business to the north side of Fond du Lac Road between Church Street and Park Avenue.
Schwalbach General Store, Saloon: located SW corner Church Street, across form bank (right side of above picture and right picture). Earlier known as Goelzer & Schwalbach. Pictured in the book GERMANTOWN The Early Years 1838 - 1915, page 78. Jakob and Florence (Linning) Habermacher owned and operated the facility (1929-1970). Both are buried in Last Home Cemetery. Earl, son of Jakob, identified the name of the establishment as Jake's Tavern; the boarding house did not have a unique name. Right picture as the building looked in 1999. The east portion of the building was a grocery store operated by Clarence Held later Larry and Edith Fuller, the back center portion was the boarding house and the west portion the bar. The building was later expanded on the west side of the bar and there was located, a barber shop.
Railroad Depot, View Northwest
Railroad Station: The station was located behind (south) general store south side of tracks. Pictured in the book GERMANTOWN The Early Years 1838 - 1915, page 111-113. A spur ran south of it and north of the lumber yard, feed mill and State Bank. Jim Schwantes was a depot agent. The station ceased operation in 1966.
Lumber Company Building
Shared by Patrica (Gehl) Kools
Lumber Yard: Frank Schwalbach Proprietor: located behind (south) railroad station. In the 1940/50s Aaron Klug and Arnold Drake were the operators. Aaron is buried in Wisconsin Memorial Park.
Germantown Feed and Supply: not pictured, Ray Heilgendorf; next to and west of lumber yard, east of Duerrwaechter Implement Company; south of railroad track.
Schaetzel Oil Company: not pictured, John/Laverne Schaetzel; located behind (south) of Feed Mill.
See Scene 6 of 8 for additional South Germantown village tour information or Scene 4 of 8 to go back one page. To see the Germantown Picture Gallery, go here.